Thursday, February 17, 2011

Review: Living as a River: Finding Fearlessness in the Face of Change


Living as a River: Finding Fearlessness in the Face of Change by Bodhipaksa. Sounds True. www.soundstrue.com 2010

When I read this title I thought this would be a book interesting to a lot of readers – particularly with all the changes many families are going through as unemployment continues to be out of control, homes are still being lost, and the economy seems to be taking forever to recover.

However, I have to believe I was really wrong on this one.

I will start by admitting I’m not Buddhist, and while this book deals with some Buddhists teachings, that I was unaware of, and frankly could never agree with, that wasn’t my only problem with this book. It wasn’t even my biggest problem with this book.

My biggest problem was how insanely boring this book was. Yes there was a story here and there on something Buddha did, which those were brief yet interesting. Yet the vast majority of the book dealt with how you are not your “self” you are not a static individual therefore everything you see yourself as being isn’t really true because you change constantly. Ok, well I don’t agree with that, but to rephrase it, to tell stories of how the plane the Vin Fizz that took off on a trip across country isn’t the same one that landed because parts were changed, to go over and over and over and over an over the same thing again and again, was flat out annoying,

It was so repetitive, it would be like writing a book that says nothing but:

Ok, 5 seconds have passed, you are now different than you were 5 seconds ago.
Ok, another 5 seconds have passesd you are now different than you were 5 seconds ago.
Now another 5 seconds have gone by so you are different than you were 5 seconds ago.

On and on and on.

I don’t know, maybe for someone who practices Buddism this is a great revelation, for me it was nothing more than a waste of time.


http://www.soundstrue.com/shop/Living-as-a-River/2688.productdetails

No comments:

Post a Comment