Saturday, January 29, 2011

If I should die, before I wake

A few days ago, I made an executive decision in my household.

After over 11 years of marriage, my husband and I are going to take a REAL vacation together.

We’ve done a few weekend camping trips, 1 night in Chicago after a Bears game, 1 night in Springfield, IL when driving down to meet my parents who had been playing with their grandchildren for a few weeks, but we had definitely never gotten on a plane and gone anywhere before.

I’ve wanted to see New Orleans for probably about 25 years now, and so we are going.
The reason I decided to go ahead and do this is because a month ago my best friend died very unexpectedly. She was only 34 years old. Her death made me realize we have no clue how long we will be around. She literally got sick on December 27th, and died on December 29th. I didn’t even know for 2 weeks because the family had no idea how to get a hold of me.

Often we talk about doing things “Someday”. Well I decided “Someday” is now. I’m not waiting any longer. All those things I said I would do “Someday”, I’m doing. And I’m doing them now.

One of those things I am doing is starting a non-profit organization called Nurturing Necessities. The mission of Nurturing Necessities is to provide gently used clothing, blankets, toys and other baby related items to low income families in Lake and McHenry Counties in order to help relieve the financial burden on these families while keeping these reusable items out of landfills.

Some of the other things I have planned is a Mardi Gras Party, an Irish Heritage Party (I don’t celebrate St. Patrick’s Day) and I hope to get another book or two done this year. (I did just finish up my fifth book/first book with Llewellyn that should be out early next year.)

So for the most part, this blog is going to turn towards being about living life to the fullest. I will document the plans for my trip, and the parties, and as one of those things comes up that I want to “someday” too, instead of answering “someday”, I will grab my calendar and write it in. In pen even.

Plans for our trip so far have included checking out different tours we want to take. SO far those are:

From Haunted History Tours:
New Orleans Ghost Tour
Voodoo Tour
Vampire Tour
Cemetary Tour

And the Honey Island Swamp tour

We’ve been given a few suggestions of places to see and things to eat and will get into that more in detail later on. Today in preparation we bought a Frommer’s New Orleans Day by Day guidebook and got a great deal on luggage - $63 including tax for a 5 piece set. Granted it’s hot pink, but I think that will only make it easier to pick it out at the luggage carousel at the airport – one of my irrational fears is never finding my luggage as it goes round and round in circles right in front of my face.

Oh, I also hate flying, but apparently I don’t hate it as much as the idea of not going at all so I plan on dealing with my fear at a much later date – and most likely with some valium.

And finally…since I want to work on this blog this year, I also want someone out there to oh I don’t know…READ it!

So anyone who follows it will get entered into a monthly drawing. Don’t know what prizes yet. Maybe autographed books, maybe gift cards, maybe items reviewed on The Pagan Review site, maybe I’ll just give the winner a choice. Please share the link with your friends too, if they post that they were referred by you, I’ll give you an extra entry into the drawing.

So that’s it for now – don’t forget – life is too short to be miserable.

14 comments:

  1. Don't forget to refer people, if they comment here on the blog that they were sent by you, I'll enter your name for each person referred too. Since it's almost the end of January, I'll do the first drawing February 28th.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hot Pink is so much better than a boring brown. It should be easier to find too. LOL
    Blessing & Good Luck with the Blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wishing you and yours a great time on Vacation in New Orleans,esp the graveyard party and the voodoo tour,see if they have an extra doll,a gerat getback to the ones who persecute me at work,only kidding,Blessed Be,David

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you are working to live life in the moment and get all you can out of it! You certainly inspire me, and you've reminded me that some of the short-term things that have been dragging me down of late within my work to build Pagan community, aren't the sum total of my being and that I really need to reconnect to my source of joy :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. that's cool that you want to go on a vacation with your husband and it's true that if we want to accomplsh something we must actually do it instead of merely wishing about it. I have been to a few states and will be traveling during my spring break to S.D. to help build homes on a reasurvation. I want to help people so this is my first step of mny of completing my goal

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary - That's exactly what I told the hubs!

    David - I have a friend that sells them at her store!

    Shauna -- YOU are the inspiration - you do so much to help others and all the work you do with the community is greatly appreciated!

    Nicole -- Which reservation will you be at? My family is from there, and an aunt (my uncle's wife) was born on a reservation there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't had the privilege of reading one of your books yet, but I very much want to!!! I'm new to following your blog as well, but I know I'm going to like it. I'm a writer, myself. I write poetry. I have a book on Amazon.com... soon to be marketed and sold in bookstores! :) But I just wanted to introduce myself: I'm Erin. And I'm glad I came across your blog. Where I live, there aren't many pagan groups and I'm sort of left on my own with it. Hopefully, your blog will help find some insight! I'm looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Kerri! I'm here {waving wildly}!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great Attitude! Carpe Diem! Sieze the Day. When im near the end of my years, i don't want to be loaded down with couldve, shouldve wouldves either. Life is short, no matter how long we have, and ya can't take it with you when you're gone! So live it up! Live Life! So happy for you and Mike about your vacation plans, and all you've done and will do this year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ps, weenieJangie is Angies and Janinas account, this is Jennifer Miller lol. Its the only thing that would let me post on here?

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL Jen - what a name - weenie jangie!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had a BRIGHT green set! Everytime I used it someone else had the same one! I hope you dont run into the same problem!! Have a awesome vacation <3 you sissy

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope you have a great vacation! I agree with you that life is too short to keep saying "someday" when you want to do something. I myself am trying to quit saying someday and start saying now! I can't wait to read more of your blogs! Have a great day sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do hope you will enjoy your trip to New Orleans. I love the history or the area and have made many friends there over the years. Destrehan Plantation out on river road is where Interview with a Vampir was filmed and is said to be haunted by Jean Laffite. If you have the time to visit Lafittes Black Smith shop on Bourbone st. Be sure to ask them to let you see the writing on the wall above the bar where the glass's are. It plays a major role in my novel and I think Jean himself put it there, even though he had nothing really to do with the building itself. I admire your new life style and agree with you, don't put off today what you think you can do tomorrow. I am going with my husband to see friends and family in Australia and not waiting any longer. Life is too short as you say. Your idea on used clothing is awesome and I wish you all the best with all you are trying to do. Blessings to you. I look forward to reading your blogs.

    ReplyDelete