Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Patience

Patience is not one of my virtues.

I’ve never been very good about being patient, and I’m sure it was probably a problem I had in past lives too.

It’s not that I want instant gratification – it isn’t that at all.

No, in fact, I truly believe that anything worth having is worth waiting for.

I think it comes more from me expecting other people to act the way I do, or at least the way I feel is “right”.

For example, over a month ago, I sent out 2 emails to 2 different people requesting information from them. Still no answer, and at this point I doubt I ever will get an answer, and I’ve managed to find the information elsewhere. But still, I never heard back from either person. Not even an “I’m sorry, I can’t help you.”

It’s not even so much the rudeness of not answering – though that is a whole different can of worms – the question was a simple, yes or no question I needed answered for professional reasons. But even though I did get an answer elsewhere, those first few days of waiting was torture.

When I send in proposals or manuscripts – more torture while waiting to hear something, anything.

Applying for jobs – same thing. Torture while waiting to hear something, anything.

Lately my life has been about waiting, always waiting for something.

I can only hope that with all the waiting I’m doing lately, maybe I’ll get a little bit better at being patient.

No comments:

Post a Comment